Over the years I’ve developed some simple ways to make your life easier when packing, moving and storing your personal and business belongings.
Whether you are storing items to be transported to a new location or placing them in storage for an extended period of time, there are easy ways to protect your belongings from damage and simple ways to pack them.
These packing, moving and storage tips will save you time, money and energy while protecting your valuables at the same time.
Make sure they are a manageable size.
Liquor stores are great places for durable boxes. They often have dividers inside that are great for packing glassware and nick-knacks.
- Reinforce bottoms of boxes with packing tape before packing
- Put heaviest items on the bottom to prevent damage
- Fill boxes to capacity so they don’t crush when stacked
- Fill small spaces at the top with paper, towels, blankets or fabric
- Don’t overfill so they won’t close completely
- Pack heavy items like canned goods and books in small manageable boxes
- Bubble Wrap
- Tissue Paper
- Packing Tape
- Towels, Blankets or Fabric
Markers and Labeling
Using thick, permanent markers with dark ink is best. Put the following information on the side of each box so it’s visible when the boxes are stacked:
- FRAGILE (if applicable)
- ROOM (it belongs in)
- CONTENT (shoes or dishes, or electronic equipment, etc.)
- ARROWS (on each side to show top of box)
- LOAD LAST (for items you want to access first)
Packing Electronic Equipment and Computers
- Pack in original boxes, if possible
- Remove and label cables and secure with twist ties or rubber bands
- Place screws and other small bits in small bags and tape them to the object they belong to
- Wrap bowls, plates, dishes, etc. individually and pack on their side (the way they fit in a dish drainer)
- Stemware and glasses should be individually wrapped and packed upright
- Pad the sides, top and bottom of your boxes with paper or bubble wrap
- To prevent scratches and dust from settling on your furniture, use old sheets and blankets to protect them
Locking Your Storage Container Unit
- We provide locks
- If you would prefer to use your own, save $10
We Do NOT Allow the Storage Of and Cannot Be Responsible For the Following Items At Our Storage Unit Rental Facility:
- Live Plants
- Live Animals
- Perishable Food Items
- Propane Tanks
- Portable Gas Tanks
- Gas Powered Items